Description

The joys and tribulations of a rising photographer, young mother, and horse lover.

Please note that all photos are copyright 2009 Amy Patience Flood. They are not to be downloaded or duplicated in any fashion and are protected by local and international copyright laws.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Jake: Dec 16, 1940


I have a collection of letters I got off of ebay many years ago. They are all addressed to the same woman (a Miss Marion Muldawer from Atlanta) from a number of male suitors. I cannot tell if she was serious about any of them - it is hard to say as I believe I am missing one set of letters. If anyone has them, I'd love to hear about it, and/or buy them off of you.

At any rate, I thought it would be selfish to keep these letters to myself and not to share. :) Hence, here is the first. It is from "Jake" (later a Lt. J.L. Goldstein who served with the 14th Infantry).

These are photos of the real letter. I had fun playing with the light. :)

Jake: Dec 16, 1940

The envelop is postmarked Milledgeville, GA on Dec 16 1940 – 7 AM

On the back of the envelope it reads:

“IF NOT DELIVERED IN FIVE DAYS
FORGET IT”

DSC_0150


Friday Night

Dear Marian,

I think I answered your last letter and told you how sorry I was about not answering you sooner than I did. You know that I have a weak mind and I might have forgotten to mail it, but I don't think that I could forget one of your letters.

In case I did forget to mail my last letter to you, in it I explained very well (I think) why I didn't answer you so quickly. If you didn't get it, I understand your not answering it; but if you did get it, why in the ____ didn't you answer it. You know there is nothing in Emily Post that says you had to wait as long as I did. You see it says on page 43, section 102, article 81, line 14, that I was, “justified in not answering sooner because of an acceptable excuse.”

Now that you see how wrong you were I accept your apology.

DSC_0171

What have you been doing since the last time I heard from you? Hold on to your chair because here I go again. You know how I feel about you. You also know I can't help it if I am crazy about you. I understand of course that I must have gone crazy first, before going crazy over you. Just because I've you, and you know I do, is no reason for you to treat me the way you do. Do you know that I stay at home at night thinking about you? Anyway I think about you whether I stay home or not. To much of you and to much hair, are on my mind all the time. Now I can have a hair-cut and cure the hair problem but what am I going to do about you? I tell you Marian, that I have really got it bad and I want you to advise me what to do. All advice will greatly be appreciated and if there is anything I can do for you it will give me great pleasure and delight to attend to it at once.

Well, I think I have said enough all ready so I had better close.

Love,

Jake


DSC_0105 copy

Amy's Note: I will be publishing more of these intriguing correspondences, so stay tuned!

0 comments:

 
Amy Patience Flood - Personal Blog creditosbtemplates creditos Templates by lecca 2008 .....Top