Description

The joys and tribulations of a rising photographer, young mother, and horse lover.

Please note that all photos are copyright 2009 Amy Patience Flood. They are not to be downloaded or duplicated in any fashion and are protected by local and international copyright laws.

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Evelyn: Aug. 28 1939


As many of you probably know (or have guessed) by this point, I am a photographer. It's the reason I am on the computer 12 to 15 hours a day and the reason (aside from my daughter) that I look forward to getting up each day. It is extremely stressful, time consuming and unrewarding, but it also challenges me and pushes me to grow not only as an artist but as a person.

It is also the reason I indulge in waaaaay too many bowls of ice cream (can you tell what I'm doing now? ;)

At any rate, since I do not (as of yet) have any new interesting tales to share, I thought I would share another letter with you. This one is not from a suitor, however. It was penned by Evelyn - Marion's [older] sister.

Evelyn: Aug. 28 1939

I feel almost like I'm intruding by posting this letter, but since nothing is actually revealed within I figured it would be ok :) And yes, it literally does say "Don't show this to anyone".

Btw, this was sent to an address in Birmingham.


August 28 -[19]39

Don't show this to anyone.

Dear Sis,

I hate to write this letter but Mama thinks its best for you and for Bessie that you come home. We will tell you why when you get here.

Mama says for you not to leave later than Wed. and let us know when you will leave.

Brother went to Miami Sat. nite. Papa came to the store for the first time since he has been back Sat.

DSC_0428 copy


That's all now. Will tell you everything when you get here.

It wasn't my idea for you to come, but I guess Mama knows best. She has her reasons.

That's all, give Bessie + everyone my love,

Love,

Evelyn



Amy's Note: :( Unfortunately I never was able to find out why. I have very few letters from 1939 and 1940 so those years are hard to trace. I have a lot of letters from 1942 and 1943 though...and during those years we get introduced to my favorite guy - Bill!

0 comments:

 
Amy Patience Flood - Personal Blog creditosbtemplates creditos Templates by lecca 2008 .....Top